Tuesday, October 16, 2012

3d modeling reference

I made this quick reference/cheat sheet for modeling, especially organic modeling like faces or hands or feet.

The top steps are for simplifying, for example the hand is pretty dense in edge loops but when it comes up to the arm you don't need that much topology so you need to simplify and this is what I use to do that.
the middle is simply two different flows being mixed, I kept having trouble getting that right and once I drew this out I found it much easier to model. the last is for re routing a line and adding more topology while avoiding triangles and 5 sided faces.

I've found triangles don't matter much on geometry that doesn't deform but on deforming surfaces triangles seem to deform oddly so sticking to 4 sided polygons is the way to go.

1 comment: